UPDATED 12:05 PM PT – Sunday, May 30, 2021
Two people were killed and at least 20 have been injured in a mass shooting that police believe to be a targeted attack. Authorities say the shooting occurred early on Sunday outside a Miami-Dade banquet hall that had been rented for a concert.
Witnesses say three assailants drove up in a white SUV and began firing indiscriminately into the crowd of concertgoers with assault rifles and hand guns.
Police director Alfredo “Freddy” Ramirez III reported, “right now we have 20 to 25 victims at various hospitals around the community as well as two deceased victims on the scene. This is a despicable act of gun violence, a cowardly act.”
I am at the scene of another targeted and cowardly act of gun violence, where over 20 victims were shot and 2 have sadly died. These are cold blooded murderers that shot indiscriminately into a crowd and we will seek justice. My deepest condolences to the family of the victims.
— Alfredo “Freddy” Ramirez III (@MDPD_Director) May 30, 2021
Police said they do not have anyone in custody at this time. Although, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said, “we will do everything we can to bring the shooters to justice and turn the tide on this violence.”
The incident follows another drive-by shooting in neighboring Wynwood that left one dead and six injured late Friday night. Police responded to the scene after they were alerted by an electronic monitoring device known as ShotSpotter, which relays gunfire sounds to police. Upon arrival, victims were seen scattered around the scene and some reportedly drove themselves to the hospital.